Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I have a photogenic memory

Paul provided my favorite quote of the episode. Much like The Amazing Race, I will name my posts by my favorite quote from each episode.

Ok, some general impressions from the ep:
The producers are trying to make it look like Paul is the mole. Everytime they do a who is the mole montage they focus on Paul. When showing us the quiz questions they showed us A LOT of Paul. Specifically during the question 7 and 8. And what is up with the death threats? This week Marcie threatened to hunt Paul down and kill him and next week Nicole threatens to kill someone in their sleep. Now to Marcie's credit she was trying to verify Paul's allegiance, which is something she should question. If I were married to a police officer, I would have mentioned that in my hunt you down and kill you threat. I mean Marcie hunting me down is not so plausible, her hubby the cop... now it seems likely he COULD hunt me down!



Player Impressions:
Let's start with Marcie. She made the first impression on me. She's not as bad at making choices as the players think she is. They were viewing her picks from the wrong angle. She picked The Young Guns minus the gay guy. If you factor in her predjudice then that makes sense. I feel confident in labelling her as her sleeping choices make it perfectly clear. She picked Ali to be successful, this is a clear choice since Ali is the person most like her. Clay is a black guy so clearly he's an athlete. Next she chose Victoria, again on the likeness factor. Then she chose Mr Competetive Mark. So all in all not bad choices. And using stereotypes in the first challenge does make sense since you have no info about the players yet.

That being said, her next decision was to punish the people least like her. When choosing people to sleep outside, I think 80% of us would choose the guys. Liz is outdoorsy, so I MIGHT see choosing her, but SHE'S 60! So instead of choosing the guys she thought would get the money she chose the old lady, the gay guy, the black girl, and the fat guy. OK moving on now.

Next we have Nicole. I get being angry about being picked to sleep outside, but with the likelyhood that there was going to be a mission she needed to buck up and do it. Not only could there have been a mission, there was also the probability that it would cause them to lose money from the pot for breaking the rules. I understand that SHE thought she found a loophole by not sleeping, but that's only her interpretation. It could have easily cost them prize money.
Her choices were much better. She chose the Scientist, the History Teacher and the Experienced woman to be the appraisers. Good call. Although I picked her as the winner, I'm hoping Nicole goes next week. The entitlement and egomania is over the top!

Paul is playing a good game. He's definitely garnering attention if not outright suspicion. He let Ali do the lion's share during the Crusoe mission. He's making false alliances to draw attention away from his real alliance. I think he'll go far in the game. Much like Boston Rob, I am both cheering for him and despising him simultaneously.

Alex is Paul's pawn. I'm afraid I didn't get much impression of him this episode. I'll wait and see how he deals with Paul's attempts to manipulate him.

I'm afraid Ali and Clay fell into the invisible category for me as well. I suspect they will both emerge next week as strong players.

I don't know if it's stubborness or a good gut feeling, but I'm sticking with under the radar Kristen as the mole.

Moving down the list, we get to Bobby. He seems like a shrewd analyst of the other players, but the boy is in worse shape than I am! I'm guessing he's asthmatic and I realize that at any moment a strong breeze might come along and snap him like a twig, but come on! Surely he knew there was going to be running! There were at least 2 guys in Austin who should have his spot. But then again I'm biased.

Liz held her own quite well. Although I have to say she looked like a dwarf running from the van before the first mission. I think Liz will hang in there for quite some time. Hopefully she'll forgive me for picking her as first out. She just seemed so nice in her preview video I expected her not have her head in the game.

Victoria seems to be a strong player. You go girl!

Craig was fairly invisible as well. I think he's likely to awarded a few exemptions because the other players are going to see him as nonthreatening.

Mark needs to chill out. Since that's not going to happen then I suppose I'll just have to hope he's going home soon. I was on the fence as I'm trying to be more tolerant of competetive people, ironically his tearful diary about his hard life pushed me over the edge into dislike.

I haven't been able to take the quiz yet, as ABC didn't anticipate the traffic it would generate. Even at 5AM it was still down.

2 comments:

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I really want Dr. Whiner to go home ASAP.

I hadn't made the same connection with Marcie's decision making as you did, but I think you definitely have a point there.

So, seeing what the first challenge was, are you at least partially relieved that Craig stole your spot? ;)

WhoIsTheMole said...

The producers are trying to make it look like Paul is The Mole. I think they are playing on the audience’s tendency to suspect the players that are the most outwardly-shady (think Elavia or Dorothy from season 2). Paul has a very needy personality, so he’s been openly vocal as he plays the game, making it very easy for the producers to focus on him.

I hope Nicole does kill someone in their sleep. That would explain why we have one less episode than expected this season and would be the Coolest. Twist. Ever.

I think if Marcie were truly prejudiced, she would have had Clay sleep outside instead of Liz or Craig.

Yes, as a team player, Nicole should have been willing to sleep outside. But, the moment a player makes it obvious that they are playing for the team, they eliminate themselves as a suspect from the minds of other players, hurting their chances of winning the game. I actually think Nicole is playing the smartest game of the bunch right now - - creating dissonance within the group to arouse suspicion in the other players, while not actually costing the group pot any money (because that’s money she hopes to win). I may not like her personality (if it is, in fact, hers, and not an act), but I’m loving watching her take this group apart. And remember, in the end, Elavia was probably the most human player from season 2. (Well, her and Katie. And MeadowMuffin.)

If Craig took your spot, then Bobby took mine.

How funny would it be if Liz were a dwarf? “11½ players, working to build a group pot than in the end, only one of them will win . . . .” I pick on her in tomorrow’s blog for her fashion sense (because that’s what we gays do), but I have an immense respect for her because she adopted two kids and raised them as a single-parent. My mom did basically the same thing, and she’s the best!

“Craig was fairly invisible as well.” Girl, there are so many things wrong with that sentence, I’m not even going to go there.

I completely agree with you about Mark. I didn’t like him because he has no upper lip in his cast photo and I hate his peacock hair which says, “I’m 42, but I know all the PTA mommies want to stay after school with me.” I do appreciate his intensity though - - there’s nothing worse than being jealous of a Mole player who doesn’t seem to want to be there - - but the tear-y interview about how many jobs he’s had really was too much for me. If you and your wife have had to work two or three jobs for all of these years, perhaps you should consider getting better jobs. You know that bitch sells Amway.

Oh, and if he’s not The Mole, I swear I will be petitioning the Mukwonago I.S.D. to review his credentials as a history teacher.

-WhoIsTheMole